Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas in Portugal

23rd- I wake up early, finish packing, catch a cab to the bus station, followed by a 10 hour bus ride to Lisbon, the second half of which I was so bus sick that I thought I might die and was literally curled up on the seat crying. That bit they were playing Me myself and Irene, and I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to watch that movie again without feeling sick. The first half I watched a clockwork orange, which was a fabulous film, but I was sad to watch it because I'd been holding out to read the book first, and I loathe reading books after seeing their film version. But then I finally arrived, and Mariana picked me up. As it turned out, the bus station was right next to the old world's fair fairgrounds where I had been when I was five years old, the last time I was in Portugal. I was introduced for the first time to the Gray family, with whom I'd be staying.

24th- Christmas lunch at the Gray's house; thai food. The guests were mostly ambassadors. They mostly spoke in English, since everyone spoke that, but some Portuguese. The food was fabulous. Afterwards we went to an 8 o clock midnight mass at a little English speaking church. I ate a body of christ wafer. I wasn't sure which was more inappropriate, to take it, or not to take it. Then they opened presents, and I had a stocking, which was incredibly sweet of them.

25th- Christmas lunch at a friend's house, a family which is apparently the largest date company owners in all of the middle east, and possibly the world. We had fantastic Moroccan food, including hummus and cous cous, and plenty of dates! Then we went to Luis' family dinner, which was maybe 50 or so people, with lots of portuguese food. Unfortunately I didn't eat much of that, since most of it had meat, and also because I was too stuffed from lunch! But I tried this interesting sort of cheesecakeish thing, which was delicious. I met a couple who run a music managing company and a 30 day world music festival. The man is from mexico and the woman used to live in Union sq, so I spoke a combination of spanish and english with them.

26th- Went into lisbon (i'm staying right outside of lisbon) to a beautiful cathedral, went to two very modern art exhibits, went to the center of town, and then went back for dinner. I might add more details on the exhibits later.

27th- went to the westernmost point of europe, which was beautiful and windy and fantastic. Then now I'm going back into lisbon to the old cathedral and the design museum and who knows what else!

On all the days, everyone I spoke to was incredibly well traveled and interesting, and extremely talented at small talk. I picked up a little Portuguese, and kind of want to learn it after spanish. I'm having a fabulous incredible time, and finally have real things to report! Much love and best holiday wishes to everyone.

1 comment: