Sunday, December 20, 2009

This is a blog post....

I had extremely long extremely perfect round nails, but then they got chipped so I cut them down to stubbly nubs.

We have some new members of our household. Two are just here for the weekends; Manoli’s daughter Paula and Paula’s son Sergio come and stay with us on the weekends, because her husband (also named Sergio) got send off to Iraq. The other appears to be permanent, and I find it far more disturbing; a giant pig’s leg, including hoof and the works sits proudly in the middle of our kitchen, right next to the water and the fruit. Manoli and Imad casually cut off little slices when they feel like it.

That reminds me of how when Paula and her family used to come over for lunch or something, I would always say ‘when are the Sergios’ getting here’ because it was plural and I found that amusing.

I have somehow gotten Livia approximately 9 times nuttier than she was, or at least revealed herself to be. Friday we very loudly sang along to instruments playing Christmas songs in Plaza Mayor. Opera style. In two different languages. (But mostly we forgot the words so a non-language.)

For Christmas here, they give presents on the day of the three kings (January 6th) not from Papa Noel. Although now they do that sometimes too, but that’s like the Non-Spanish Way.

Turron is their big Christmas candy, in all sorts of different types.

I joined the gym and now I do a spin class 5 times a week and pilates 2 times.

I remember a lot of my dreams now, even a bunch that I had a while ago but forgot about.

I got my library priveledges temporarily suspended from bringing back books late but now I got them back so I’m going to go take out The Cloven Viscount (Italo Calvino) in Spanish! I’m also reading The Catcher in the Rye in Spanish but the book is completely falling apart so its annoying to read.

Milena left for Germany, and it was sad. It’s strange to think that I’ll be leaving soon as well. I feel bad for Livia, because while both Jasmin and I (her closest friends here) are leaving in January, she will be here until June.

Holiday break starts wednesday, at which point I'm headed to Lisbon, capital of Portugal to stay with the Gray family (family friends) for christmas and such.

Chanukah has come and gone, with none a latkah because a) I forgot to make them and b) there are no jews in Salamanca. When I say that i mean it in all seriousness, because they all got kicked out and never came back. Many people haven't even heard of chanukah.

I miss home but mostly all is good. I've been studying a lot and I took all of my exams, for the most part doing really well, especially considering that they aren't in my native tongue. My Spanish has improved, though its not really where I want it to be, but thats okay. In some ways I'm very ready to go home, but in others I really wish I could stay the whole year.

1 comment:

  1. It seems fitting that Holden Caulfield is falling apart. Perhaps your book has taken his story to heart.

    ReplyDelete